Gresham’s was founded in 1555 by Sir John Gresham, who converted Holt’s Manor House into a Free Grammar School as a result of Henry VIII’s suppression of the Monasteries.
The School remained in the heart of Holt for 350 years, surviving the Great Fire of 1708 which destroyed most of medieval Holt. The building was extensively enlarged and refurbished in Victorian times, and still exists today renamed ‘Old School House’ and currently serving as home to our Pre-Prep School.
At the turn of the twentieth century, Gresham’s was refounded under the direction of new and innovative headmaster George Howson. Under Howson, the School moved to the existing site on the edge of Holt and adopted a progressive curriculum which embraced the Sciences, encouraging independent thought and creativity amongst its pupils.
Gresham’s expanded considerably over the twentieth century yet it retains the warm community atmosphere which has become central to our ethos over the years. We continue to embrace new technologies and follow a modern approach to education, with the construction of facilities such as the Auden Theatre and Cairns Centre in recent years. We remain committed to offering a high standard of education and promoting personal growth, shaping generations of confident and enquiring young people.
The annual Antique & Collectors Fair has been held at Greshams for several years and is one of the largest events in Norfolk. With 250 covered stands of antiques, art deco and collectables, there is a wide choice of items to peruse.
There is also our Antique Valuation Roadshow, offering free valuations and appraisals of your products.